The Ministry of Rugby hosted the Elliptics Awards gala on Saturday 20th November, 2010.
Despite a two hour delay as guests trickled in, the event, MC-ed by Renee Sewe and Kule Ekirapa, was well attended and well organised.
Although KRU Director Edward Rombo was present to accept his award, I had hoped to see more representation from KRU. Maybe they weren’t invited :).
It was lovely to see Harlequins well represented; officials James Absaloms Juma and Paul Nyamodi were there, as was Edward Kinyany. I also saw Alan Hicks from Nondescripts. There was a sprinkling of Mwamba players. A very jovial Sydney Obonyo, the new Mean Machine coach was also in attendance, and Mitch Ocholla brought some of his Leos along. Godwin Karuga, one of Kenya’s top referees, was also present.
The ever lovely Priya Chana also attended this event.
Steel Pulse, rugby’s original cheer leader, took the crowd down memory lane as he sang a few of his golden oldies; the X rated versions, and Rombo was only too willing to sing back up.
Award recipients included:
1. Elliptics MVP of the Year (MALE)
2. Elliptics MVP of the Year (FEMALE)
3. Elliptics Referee of the Year
4. Elliptics Director of the Year
5. Elliptics Team of the Year
6. Elliptics Best Audio Media
7. Elliptics Best Visual Media
8. Elliptics Best Print Media
9. Elliptics Rookie of the Year
10. Elliptics Coach of the Year
Edward Kinyany (HARLEQUINS)
11. Elliptics School of the Year
12. Elliptics Fan of the Year
Millie Mwango (KENYA)
13.Elliptics Hall of Fame
Jackson ‘Jacko’ Omaido
Omaido’s induction into the Hall of Fame was well deserved and long overdue.
A few people tripped over their speeches and some shed tears. The event was over by around midnight but some stalwarts stayed on until sunrise.
All in all it was a great night, with great people.