What is twitter?
Twitter is a relatively new form of online communication. It is a great way to keep family and friends updated on what you’re up to. Many companies use it to update clients on what new products or promotions they have. Companies also use it to get feedback from customers, and some companies co-workers use it to communicate with each other.
Twitter posts are restricted to 140 characters or less. This means that each time you send a message out, you have to do it in 140 characters or less. This encourages easier quicker communication.
Twitter allows you to find your friends or products that you’re interested in and follow them. By following them you can read their updates every time they post something new. Your friends can also find you and follow you on twitter. You can communicate with your followers either in through a public message or you can send them a private message.
Still don’t get it? Check out this ‘twitter in plain English’ video
How do I join twitter?
2. On the top right, you will see a ‘sign up’ button. Click on that. Sign up not sign in! You can use the sign in button once you have activated your twitter account.
3. Fill in your name, username and password. A username is a name that uniquely identifies you. I opted to you my middle name, Nekesa, for my twitter account username.
4. Type in the CAPTCHA words from the image similar to the one below. A CAPTCHA is a program which makes sure that you are a human being and not a computer program that’s up to no good. If you have a hard time reading the words, you can listen to the words by clicking the link just to the right of the image.
5. Click on the ‘create my account’ button.
6. The next step allows you to look through your email accounts to find any of your friends who are on twitter. The ‘Skip This Step’ link just below the ‘Continue’ button allows you to skip this step, if you want to.
7. Twitter gives you the option of following celebrities. You can skip this step too, if you want.
8. Finally, you’re on the main twitter page. There should be a little box at the top, on the left with a question, ‘what’s happening?’ Click in this box, type in your first tweet and when you’re done, click on the ‘tweet’ button at the bottom of the little box. This will update your status.
Congratulations and welcome to the twitter!
Still can’t do it? Email me on jo dot were at gmail dot com